Monday, April 19, 2010

Headpieces, my latest obsession


I think that my favourite way to add intrigue to an otherwise plain outfit is a great headpiece. I'm a pretty big fan of fascinators of all sorts- my personal collection includes a variety of feathers, oversize bows, and flowers- and it's getting to the point where I feel a little naked without one. And I'm certainly not the only one embracing this attention-grabbing hair accessory.

Diane von Furstenberg, Chanel, and YSL, just to name a few, all showed some stunning headpieces in their SS2010 collections. So far the ones I've been creating have been relatively small and simple, but these designers are inspiring me to construct huge, show-stopping pieces. For me, it's pretty much the bigger, the better!

They work for all occasions, drawing attention to your face and salvaging bad hair days. The feathered pieces shown here are super-versatile and great anytime- peacock feathers are gorgeous too. When I was in Mexico a few months ago, I didn't go anywhere without beachy flowers in my hair; they're so sweet and girly and are a great way to add colour. Giant bows are adorable in the daytime, and the dramatic veiled pieces or hats are beautiful as an evening look. Wearing one of these gives you a touch of old Hollywood glamour and instantly pulls your outfit together. Head-to-toe-black can be monotonous, but a headpiece makes that same ensemble super chic.

Hairpieces on headbands are tricky, as a lot will give you headband headaches- be careful with these, and always try them on first. I personally prefer combs, which have impressive staying-power in my thick hair and tuck easily into an updo, or snap barrettes, which work on everybody. Smaller versions on bobby pins are great too, and are usually the least expensive way to explore this trend.

Check out the Mes Trois Soeurs headpieces- I'm updating this collection daily in my Etsy shop, and many of them are also available in-store at Victoire Boutique in Ottawa, Boutique Unicorn in Montreal, and the Coal Miner's Daughter and Freedom Clothing Collective in Toronto. Keep checking in, because knowing me, I'll probably have one the size of my own head for sale by the end of the week. Love it!!


m3s headpiece, photo by Celeste De Mueleneare

No comments:

Post a Comment